Friday 15 November 2019

Hygge in Copenhagen

Hello All,

We are in Copenhagen having a blast so thought it easiest if I write one blog for everyone.

Of course we arrived exhausted - for the record Premium Economy (Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong; Lufthansa to Copenhagen via Munich) is turning into basic coach.  God knows what it is like back in coach.  Premium Economy has 2 at the sides and 4 (yes that's FOUR) in the middle - man I would be pissed if they shoved me in a 4 seat row.  The movies were great - I binged on Japanese films and Bill did John Woo apparently.

Anyway after too many hours we found out way to our Copenhagen "home".  And just as I put my foot on the stoop, my mobile died.  Yes the ONLY method of communication we had and at 20% my phone stopped.  Luckily Bill's had a wee bit of juice and so we sent a text and there was our lovely hostess, Ingrid (our exchange partner's mum).  She was waiting inside and I think she might have heard me swearing.  I think the Pope heard me swearing. 

We have a hygge one-bedroom flat on the ground floor.  There are a couple of "odd" things - everyone in Copenhagen has no problems about not having curtains on their ground floor windows!  Yep as you walk along you can see into people's places.  Our windows have the lower half covered with some kind of privacy frosting.  It doesn't look much from the inside but it does work.  However I was mildly surprised when I saw a guy a delivery truck at my height.  He couldn't have cared less - I guess people are so used to it, they wouldn't be so impolite as to look inside someone's bedroom?!

The second is the heating - man it's warm in here.  The first thing we did was turn off the heating.  Only left the bathroom one on.  BTW I hate rainfall showerheads.  Who ever thought they are a good idea? Everyday your hair would be wet and in your eyes.  We have a dual shower head head but the first shower was not fun. 

Frabulous joy, we opened the fridge and there was a plethora of beer.  All sorts.  We also had a lovely bunch of yellow roses and some great danish bread and things so we could survive til we shopped.  The bread here is divine. 

Food is expensive in Denmark - or Copenhagen at least.  But I do realise we have had afternoon tea at museums and they always charge a premium.  But a cup of coffee, a mug of tea and a croissant costs about AUD25.  Best croissant I've ever had, it was heavy with butter, and the Earl Grey was delicious.  The Danes are serious about their coffee - so Bill's been happy so far. 

A craft beer costs about 60DKK which is about AUD12.  And so far we've had some fabulous craft beers.  No complaints there.  We like to treat ourselves to a beer or three around 3ish.  The bars here are uniformly "cosy" and the service is friendly.  Everyone speaks English, excellent English - it's just plain embarrassing. 

Okay that's all for now. I will be updating this daily.


No comments:

Post a Comment